Thursday 5 January 2012

HP Officejet Pro 8500 A910 won't scan

Jesus! this printer is so awful, its unbelievable. I thought, oh, touch screen, looks really nice.
I set up two brand new Dell Vostro's on a simple network and then configured this printer on a wired connection. Installed the software fine, printing to it was also fine, happy days.
Then I tried to initiate a scan from one PC, this also worked fine. Tried on the second, looks like it scans and then bombs out with a "Scanner communication cannot be established"
Thought I would continue this the following day. Next day however, the first PC now didn't want to scan anything. When I tried scanning from the printer to the PC, this too displayed an error message on the screen.
I tried re-installing the software, download the latest version, use the HP removal program and then install the software and finally upgraded the Firmware. All this failed! These on on brand new PC's!
In the end I tried to configure the "Scan to Network" option and this seemed to work. I need to deliver this kit to the customer so this is the only way it can be done. I have spent almost 4 hours trying to figure this out. I'm sure you already found all the posts related to this problem on the HP Forums but if you haven't, please do not buy this printer!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You'll get that message if you are connected to a VPN portal. I've found that regardless of LAN/WAN, you have to disconnect in order to use HPs print/scan.